Friday, October 17, 2008

Apathy.....

It's an ugly word, but it definitely describes my energy level related to blogging (completing posts for our own blog, that is). I really enjoy looking back at the posts, realizing that this is as close to scrapbooking that I'll ever get, but just can't seem to keep up.

Anyhow, the past few weeks have kept us busy as usual. I really love this season though. The kids and I even carved pumpkins this week. Early, I know, but we couldn't wait to roast the seeds! Ellen opted to paint hers (but we did take the seeds out anyhow). Ben, of course, HAD to carve his.



Ruth seems to us to be growing by leaps and bounds lately. She is quite ambulatory, and can MOVE, and fast, if she is motivated. Hearing running bath water is one of those motivators. Recently, I picked her up and passed thru the bathroom (bath running) so I could change her diaper before going back and putting her in the tub. She had a HUGE FIT because I walked past the tub and didn't stop to put her in it. Naughtiness starts early, I tell you! Here is Ruth "going fishing" in her favorite place. (Sorry to show baby bunnies!)


Ruth can pull up on anything now, and we've had to re-screw down all the heater vents or else she pulls them up and tries to plunge herself into them. "Look at what a big girl I am!"


At last, a picture of the elusive Lydia! Tonight as I sat feeding Ruth a bottle, I heard Lydia rumbling around in the bathroom and I asked what she was doing. She said, "I'm feeding the little pets." That didn't seem right to me...you know, when the sounds don't quite fit the stated activity.... so, I asked again and learned that she was "washing the cat food". Total Lydia. It was a big mess, especially since she had plugged the sink first. Nice.

Also, Lydia gets mad at Ruth for getting into her things, and she 'll stomp after her (Ruth) while spelling, "L-D-Y-A!" She has heard E & B spell out her name in frustration, so now she does it to Ruth, getting the name wrong though. It's pretty funny. She's doing great at learning her verses for ECHO and AWANA though. Mini M&M's help with that. Is that bad????



Daddy with his finger-sucking and thumb-sucking girls.



Ellen is in her 5th week of piano lessons. She loves it, and is doing really well. It seems to come naturally to her, and she is just progressing right along. She was very sad this past weekend, as "Snowflake" the steer went to cow heaven. This is really the first time any of the kids has been upset by this. In the past, they have all watched with interest, and ask at dinnertime "Is this 'Abednego' that we're eating tonight?" Anyhow, her sadness is very sweet and thoughtful. It worked somewhat to distract her by going to a local volleyball game and having a friend spend the day with us. She has recovered okay :)

Here is Ben building a snowplow out of BristleBlocks. He is doing great in school, and is on Lesson #93 on our Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons book. He especially loves math (the opposite of Ellen). All three kids are loving ECHO, and selfishly, I too am enjoying the 75% break on Friday mornings!


PS As I was typing this, Ruth found a discarded color ink cartridge in the trash next to the desk. Needless to day, I have another mess to tackle. Too tired to take a picture, but I imagine the ink will be there for awhile anyhow. I'll try later! :)

2 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

I Loved this post and the way you capture each of your sweet gifts & their interests through your pictures! Life is good! Most of all...I do LOVE that Lydia washed the cat food! That will be a memory that will forever make your family laugh throughout the years! Have a wonderful Sunday..may you feel & see His hands in amazing ways! Sweet blessings!

Dad said...

Beautiful kids!We used to do the pumpkins too, and also put candles in them, and turned off the lights so it would be spooky. Remember Dan?